From Hymnopedia.com - a semi-definitive Wiki of Christian hymns, MIDI files, composers and authors.
Bio of the Week
Martin Luther; (1483 to 1546), the hero of the Reformation, was born in the village of Eisleben November 10, 1483. In 1512 he received the degree of Doctor of Theology. In the meantime he made a pilgrimage to Rome, where he saw much corruption among the clergy; but still his faith was strong in the Roman Church. On October 31, 1517, at midday, Luther posted his ninety-five Theses against the Merits of Indulgences on the church door at Wittenberg. That day was the birthday of the Reformation.
He himself translated psalms and wrote hymns, to some of which he adapted tunes. Luther wove the gospel into these hymns. They were gladly received and widely circulated. A Romanist of the time wrote: "The whole people is singing itself into this Lutheran doctrine." The first collection of Luther's hymns was published in 1524. He died February 18, 1546.
Two of Luther's better known hymns include:
Interested in more? Read more or discuss this author/composer on the page Martin Luther.
Join the Fun
Sign up, it's Free
Hymnopedia is free for you to use and contribute.
Use your Facebook account to
Ask a Question
Hey were just getting started, so if you have a general question about we mange the Hymns, an Authors, Composers here on Hymnopedia, feel free to join the general topics discussion on the Tabernacle page.
How to Help
Here are just a few of the ways you can help out:
- Find and fix a short or poor quality hymn article that Category:Requires_Editing ;
- Contribute to hymn that is missing a summary or a a MIDI file;
- Update a author or composer biography that's in need an image; or
- Pick a topic from our wanted pages list and/or create a new article.
- Can't find a favorite hymn? Go ahead and Help:Adding_Hymns add it. We won't complain.
We'll also be updating our help pages in case you get stuck.
8 Great Hymns of the Week
Below are the top ten hymns searched on this site:
Here are some interesting stats:
- 783 Hymn lyrics & stories listed
- 319 Author biographies told
- 3 Composers lives described
- 109 Hymnals detailed
- 598 files uploaded
- 5,653 page edits